Tuesday 11 October 2016

An almost handmade Christmas

Money is tight for us this year, as it is for a lot of people. We refuse to get into debt with credit cards and loans for the sake of one day. I've also been reading about Kon Marie and the whole downsizing/decluttering/minimal thing. So I've decided to downsize what the children get this year and to make as much as possible. I discovered a box of toys under the eldest's bed which had been given to her for Christmas last year. Forgotten and un-played with. We already have a tiny house filled to the rafters with things, the last thing we need is more stuff! So, a few key presents, a couple of stocking fillers and Santa's bag (In our house, Santa brings the girls a bag full of gifts and the rest is bought by us ;) ) is all we're giving them this year.

Now, the eldest, Dinogirl, is a hard one. She's 9 just before Christmas, and isn't a huge player of toys. She loves her craft supplies, of which she has ample amounts! She likes books, so she'll get a couple of those. And she loves her computer games. She's desperate for the new Pokemon and Yokai games, and her 3DS (which was second hand anyway) is on it's way out. So there isn't a lot I can make for her. I do however have some Pikachu fabric! So I think she's going to get some Scrundies. If you haven't heard of Scrundies, check them out! They're the most comfy pants you'll ever wear! I might be able to squeeze a teeshirt from the fabric too. We'll see!

The youngest however, is a different story. Tinydino is 2 in February. Like any toddler she likes all toys, any shape, size or colour. But she LOVES her baby dolls. She has a couple already, and they're mostly naked. When we've been in hospital with her she has loved the doll cots and prams, so we're going to get her a wooden doll cot and a wooden doll buggy. I LOVE wooden toys. They look so much more...wholesome? I can't think of the word. But we prefer them over plastic.
To go with the cot, buggy, doll thing, I'm going to make her some nappies, clothes and a blanket for her dolls. The blanket I have already started. It was meant to be a sock yarn blanket for me and I wasn't happy with it, so I've squared it off and I just need to finish edging it.

I'm also hoping to make gifts for family and friends where I can! Dinopapa has a big family and we need to post their gifts, so little items are best.

I've spent nap time today browsing Pinterest for patterns and ideas. Here's a link so my Handmade Christmas board for anyone who'd like to have a look :)


No comments:

Post a Comment