Tuesday 26 January 2016

Pair one progress

So, just over half way into the first month I finished my first sock of pair one! Woohoo! I do so love the mini circulars, I can't wait to get a second pair because I am very much suffering from the dreaded Second Sock Syndrome!
As I mentioned in my last post, I cast on the Rose City Roller pattern with my mini circulars and a bag of sock yarn scraps. I did the heel flap from the pattern, rather than my usual afterthought heel, and I did extra rows on the heel flap to make them fit my giant feet better, so 20 instead of 16 slip stitches for my size. And instead of the normal toe from the pattern, I decided to try out the Anatomical Toe on recommendation of my friend, who is the queen of sock knitting options! On the quest to find the perfect fit for her own socks she has tried lots of different techniques, and is one of my go-to people for advice on altering to fit!
Anyway, I did an Anatomical Toe on the first sock and I LOVE it. The smaller needle size (2.5mm instead of my usual 2.75mm) has given the socks a tighter fabric, and the deeper heel flap and anatomical toe has just sealed the deal in my eyes. They fit so well!



I'm almost turning the heel on the second sock now, so hopefully I'll finish it by the end of the month (Or not long after!) I need to decide what pattern to cast on next!

I've also realised that I never posted a photo of my finished 'Prequel' socks. The pair of socks I mentioned in this post, that had (embarrassingly) been on my needles since 2014! The shame! I tried a new heel and hated them, throwing them in my knitting bag in a strop and grumping at them periodically over the next almost 2 years. So I resurrected them around New Year and finished them off before I started my 12 in 12 challenge. And here they are!


I must admit, I'm not overly in love with them. They need some altering I think. The feet are too long, meaning the heels are too deep. I think I need to rip back the heel by about an inch! Probably two inches so I can play around with the decreases. And for some reason the toes twist a little too. But that one is more aesthetic than anything else, when they're on my feet I can't tell. The yarn is their saving grace! It is just divine!

But for now, the baby is having a nap and Dinogirl is at school, so I'm off to turn Peppa Pig off the tv and get on with some knitting with a few chocolate digestives  a cup of tea! ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment